FOIA Section 24 Exemption
Section 24: National Security
| Section 24 applies to information whose exemption from the right of access is required for the purpose of safeguarding national security: in order to apply section 24, it will be necessary to decide whether any harm to national security might result from its disclosure.
Full DCA guidance: http://www.dca.gov.uk/foi/guidance/exguide/sec24/index.htm
- This exemption is subject to the public interest test.
- Check to see if a ministerial certificate has been issued or not.
What the law says
24 National security
- (1) Information which does not fall within section 23(1) is exempt information if exemption from section 1(1)(b) is required for the purpose of safeguarding national security.
- (2) The duty to confirm or deny does not arise if, or to the extent that, exemption from section 1(1)(a) is required for the purpose of safeguarding national security.
- (3) A certificate signed by a Minister of the Crown certifying that exemption from section 1(1)(b), or from section 1(1)(a) and (b), is, or at any time was, required for the purpose of safeguarding national security shall, subject to section 60, be conclusive evidence of that fact.
- (4) A certificate under subsection (3) may identify the information to which it applies by means of a general description and may be expressed to have prospective effect.
ICO Lines To Take
|Relevant Lines to Take|
|Complaints upheld / partly upheld (P)||Complaints not upheld|
Includes DNs up to: 26 April 2010
|12 21 22 22A 23 24 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44|