FOIA Section 34 Exemption
Section 34: Parliamentary Privilege
Section 34 applies to information whose exemption is required in order to avoid an infringement of the privileges of either House of Parliament. The purpose of section 34 is to preserve Parliamentary privilege and protect the position of Parliament.
- Section 34 will need to be considered where a public authority is required to lay information before Parliament before disclosing it to anyone else.
- If privileged information has been published by Parliament then section 34 will not apply: exemption is not required in order to avoid an infringement of Parliamentary privilege.
- Section 34(3) enables the Parliamentary authorities to conclusively certify that section 34 applies. Departments are strongly advised to consult officials from the relevant House before relying on section 34 and to obtain a certificate where necessary.
- Section 34 is not subject to any public interest test balance.
What the law says
34 Parliamentary privilege
- (1) Information is exempt information if exemption from section 1(1)(b) is required for the purpose of avoiding an infringement of the privileges of either House of Parliament.
- (2) The duty to confirm or deny does not apply if, or to the extent that, exemption from section 1(1)(a) is required for the purpose of avoiding an infringement of the privileges of either House of Parliament.
- (3) A certificate signed by the appropriate authority certifying that exemption from section 1(1)(b), or from section 1(1)(a) and (b), is, or at any time was, required for the purpose of avoiding an infringement of the privileges of either House of Parliament shall be conclusive evidence of that fact.
- (4) In subsection (3) “the appropriate authority” means—
- (a) in relation to the House of Commons, the Speaker of that House, and
- (b) in relation to the House of Lords, the Clerk of the Parliaments.
Examples of FOI requests refused via s34
Both Houses publish a list of FOI requests, together with details of any exemptions used. This can give an indication of how frequently they use this FOI exemption.
House of Commons
The House of Commons usually only issues a certificate for s34 at the internal review stage. This can be gleaned from this 2006 disclosure (many more than 6 FOI requests have been refused using s34):
- 20/12/06 - How many s34 certificates has Mr Speaker issued, excluding one dated 20 November - 5 certificates issued; no cases involving ICO. Information provided in full.
In addition there are a few FOI requests on WhatDoTheyKnow which have been refused (in full or in part) using Section 34:
- Online petitions documents from PICT
- Speaker Election Voter Record - Speaker's "letter" included rather than a s34 certificate (implying that the requester could appeal to the ICO)
- Speaker Election Nomination Forms - contains a s34 Certificate
- Alan Keen - Exceptional Circumstances regarding second home
- Home Secretary Jacqui Smith - Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards - with regard to s34, the reply states "If the decision to apply section 34 of the 2000 Act in respect of your request is upheld by review, a certificate signed by the Speaker may be issued. This certificate would provide conclusive evidence that the exemption was required for the purpose described above"
- Damian Green arrest - s34 claimed. NB: The request was withdrawn by the requester during the internal review stage (which had already taken 6 months without a final decision).
- 2005: 16 refusals from 196 requests (8%)
- 2006: 19 refusals from 141 requests (13%)
- 2007: 24 refusals from 198 requests (12%)
- 2008: 25 refusals from 354 requests (7%)
- 2009: 29 refusals from 846 requests (3%)
- 2010: n/a
Since 2005, the overall refusal rate is 6.5%.
- FOI logs for 2010 not yet published (as at October 2010)
- 05/03/2009 - Regarding complaints made to Parliament Commissioner for Standards on named MP's allowance-copies of all correspondence/details of complaints - Information exempt [section 34]
- 10/03/2009 - Copies of minutes regarding the release of MPs expenses claims and copies of correspondence between departments - General information provided otherwise exempt [section 34 and 36]
- 10/03/2009 - Extract from Green book - members who leave at General Election. Past versions from '97. Copy of new Pay & allowances document - Information provided where not exempt [section 34]
- 10/03/2009 - Why the Parliament Commissioner for Standards did not investigate Government Minister's use of ACA - General info provided otherwise exempt [section 34]
- 12/03/2009 - Details of approach made by MP House authorities to ensure that claims for allowance were bona fide - Information exempt [section 34]
- 22/04/2009 - Which groups failed to obtain official status as All-Party Parliamentary Group (past 2 yrs); accounts for Wood Panel All-Party Parliamentary Group. Correspondence regarding formation - Information provided where not exempt [section 34]
- 30/04/2009 - All communications related to decision to publish on 30/3/09; why pdf used; number of requests exempt by s22 (later publication) - Some information provided. Some information exempt [section 34]
- 15/05/2009 - How many complaints are subject of enquiry by Commissioner. Which MPs (from given list) are subject of an enquiry - Information exempt [section 22] and [section 34]
- 22/06/2009 - Members Estimates Committee minutes for 2004 and information held by Members Estimates Committee regarding allowing constituency to be designated as main home and ACA claimed for stays in London - Information provided, some exempt [section 34]
- 22/06/2009 - MEC minutes for 2004 and info held by MEC re allowing constituency to be id as main home & ACA claimed for stays in London - Some information provided, some exempt [s34]
- 08/07/2009 - All communications between Department and relevant committee requesting pre-appointment hearing for 2 specified appointments - Some information provided and some information refused [s34].
- 21/07/2009 - Appeals process iro redactions - Information exempt [s34] and [s40]
- 21/07/2009 - Number of requests for more redactions after publication. Names of members who appealed the redaction process - Some information provide, some exempt [s12] and [s34]
- 23/06/2009 - Committee briefings - Some information provided, some exempt [s34]
- 23/07/2009 - Nomination forms iro election of the Speaker - Information exempt [s34]
- 23/07/2009 - Members who voted in Speaker ballots - Information exempt [s34]
- 06/10/2009 - Correspondence re a meeting between named members & senior officials concerning release of members expenses under FOI - Some information provided, some exempt[s34], [s40] and [s42]
- 23/07/2009 - List of MPs who participated in each round of Speaker's Vote 22/6/09 - Information exempt [s34]
- 17/09/2009 - Minutes/transcripts of MEC - Information exempt [s34]
- 22/10/2009 - Report to Admin Committee from Department of Facilities regarding refurbishment of Palace of Westminster - Information exempt [s34]
- 22/10/2009 - Copy of Parliamentary Estates Strategy by Head of Strategy and Business Planning of the Palace of Westminster - Information exempt [s34]
- 03/09/2009 - Copies of documents given to Committee this year by Ukrainian authorities detailing licensing of UK registered brokers in Ukraine - Information exempt [s34]
- 23/10/2009 - Documents from the Office of the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards - Information provided. Some information exempt[s34]
- 10/11/2009 - Copy of the letter sent to a named MP asking to desist from reading out the names of the soldiers killed in Iraq. - Information exempt[s34]
- 15/12/2009 - Number of complaints the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards has received since April, their nature, etc - Information exempt [s34] [s22]
- 16/12/2009 - Number of investigations and complaints completed by the Standards Commissioner - Some information provided, some exempt[s34] and [s22]
- 11/12/2009 - Subject of the FOI request recommended for refusal by The House of Commons Committee on 20 October, 2009. Who made the request and what happened to the application thereafter. - Information provided. Some information exempt[s34]
- 12/01/2010 - Copies of all correspondence submitted to the Member's Estimates Committee and/or named MP or anybody on behalf of MPs appealing against its decision on what should pay back on their expenses. - Information provided. Some information exempt[s34]
- 26/01/2010 - Copies of advice to MEC on ACA claims review - Information exempt[s34]
- 23/01/2008 - Minutes of meeting of Registrar & named MP re declaring funding sources. Records of related exchanges - Disclosure refused. Section 34 exemption applied.
- 06/03/2008 - Various questions concerning Parliament Questions - Some information provided. Section 34 exemption applied.
- 08/04/2008 - No of complaints for abuse of communication allowance. number upheld. Complaints lodged by political parties - Some information provided. Partial Section 34 exemption applied.
- 17/04/2008 - Emails or documents on the "90 days proposal doc." & referring to the proposal to publish bills in new format - Information provided. Partial Sections 34 & 40 exemptions applied.
- 08/05/2008 - Reason for not referring recent report of theft of public monies by MPs to the police authority for investigation. - Some information provided but remainder exempt. Partial Section 34 exemption applied.
- 03/04/2008 - Committee of public accounts - and National Audit Office report - Full section 34 exemption applied.
- 13/05/2008 - MEC Minutes and notes of discussions with an Official - Some information provided where not exempt. Sections 34 & 36 exemptions applied.
- 13/05/2008 - Information about e-petitions - Non exempted information provided. Sections 34, 36 & 43 exemptions apply.
- 15/05/2008 - Breakdown of spouse & family travel and Communications Allowance for named MPs - Information not provided. Sections 34, 36 & 40 exemptions applied.
- 18/06/2008 - All correspondence & documentation relating to named MP's use of his private office for Leader's group meetings - Information exempt. Section 34 exemption applied.
- 01/07/2008 - All documents relating to investigation into rental arrangements of named MPs - Referred to Standards & Privileges report. Other information Section 34 exemption applied.
- 10/09/2008 - Details of all communications in the last year to MPs about expenses - Some information provided. Partial Sections 34 & 36 exemptions applied.
- 10/09/2008 - Details of correspondence to MP from a named member of staff in respect of overseas visits - Information exempt. Partial Sections 34 & 36 exemptions applied.
- 19/09/2008 - Requested copies of questions that were provided to the Public Administration Committee in preparation National Audit Office report on Reducing Brain Damage: faster access to better stroke care - Information exempt. Section 34 exemption applied.
- 09/10/2008 - Who were letters dated 13&28 May 08 circulated to. Also, internal guidelines on how committees choose witnesses - Some information not held, otherwise exempt. Section 34 exemption applied.
- 07/11/2008 - Confirm that briefing note to Business and Enterprise Committee will appear online. Also date that particular evidence is published - Information exempt. Section 34 exemption applied.
- 27/11/2008 - List of all complaints made to Parliamentary Standards Commissioner from Nov 07-08 & type of action taken in each case - Information exempt. Section 34 exemption applied.
- 22/12/2008 - Various questions re search of MP's office in House of Commons - Some information not held - Partial Sections 21, 31 & 34 exemptions applied.
- 22/12/2008 - Documents, emails & notes relating to communications between officials and officers of House and police - Some information not held - Partial Sections 31, 34, & 42 exemptions applied.
- 22/12/2008 - Various questions regarding search and arrest of named MP - Information exempt. Partial Sections 21, 34, 31 & 42 exemptions applied.
- 22/12/2008 - Copy of letter from Chairman of Advisory Panel on MPs allowances mentioned in minutes of 10/11/08 - Information exempt. Section 34 exemption applied.
- 22/12/2008 - Copy of written permission form for access signed by Serjeant at Arms in relation to recent search of MP's Office - Information exempt. Partial Sections 31 & 34 exemptions applied.
- 22/12/2008 - Documentation/correspondence from named officials converning arrest of MP and search of premises - Information exempt. Partial Sections 31, 34 & 42 exemptions applied.
- 22/12/2008 - Copy of legal advice supplied to named official in relation to search of MP's Office - Information exempt. Partial Sections 31, 34 & 42 exemptions applied.
- 22/12/2008 - Documentation/correspondence from named officials concerning arrest of MP and search of premises - Information exempt. Partial Sections 31 & 34 exemptions applied.
- 09/02/07 - HC/CP/13526 & HC/CP/16500 Home Affairs Sele ct Committee draft reports and papers re: Security Service - Partial s34 exemption. Some information already in public domain. Newsletter to be disclosed
- 17/01/07 - Questions re: bar and catering outlets in the Palace and the subsidy level for food and drink - Disclosure of some of the information would infringe parliamentary privilege [Partial s34]
- 26/01/07 - Evidence submitted to the JCHR by the Childrens' Commissioner re: Hillingdon Council 'de-accommodating' children - Disclosure would infringe parliamentary privilege. [Full s34]
- 26/01/07 - Evidence submitted to the JCHR re: Johnson v Havering LBC heard on 11/1/7 in the Court of Appeal - Disclosure would infringe parliamentary privilege. [Full s34]
- 02/02/07 - HC/CP/15281/1: Foreign Affairs Committee (1998/9), Sierra Leone Correspondence - Disclosure would infringe parliamentary privilege. [Full s34]
- 22/02/07 - All documents re: the smoking ban affecting bars, MPs' private offices, and other areas in the PoW - Letters and minutes provided. Other Partial s34, s36, s42 exemption.
- 20/02/07 - 4 questions re: the National Identity card, national identity database, and Data Protection concerns - Partial s34 exemption. Library SN and research paper disclosed.
- 01/02/07 - JCHR's Legal Adviser's opinions on Bills which are under scrutiny and Acts which have been passed - Disclosure would infringe the parliamentary privilege. [Full s34]
- 20/02/07 - Memoranda and minutes of the Science & Tech Committee re: animal/ human hybrid embryos - Memoranda to be published shortly. Minutes refused. Partial s34, partial s36 exemption.
- 16/03/07 - HC/CP/15167/9, HC/CL/EU/2/35/12985, HC/CL/EU/2/142/14395, HC/CL/EU/2/151/14930 - Disclosure of some of the information would infringe parliamentary privilege. [Partial s34]
- 27/03/07 - All documents re: the decision to prevent the use of the flagpole on PCH 'on health and safety grounds' - All held correspondence provided. Admin C'tee paper covered by privilege though minutes provided. [Partial s34]
- 21/03/07 - Copies of Commission minutes in which FOI & public authorities, and FOI (Amendment) Bill were discussed - Disclosure of Commission minutes would inhibit internal discussions; MEC minutes are privileged. [Full s36 s34]
- 10/04/07 - 5 questions re. the electronic tabling of questions and motions by MPs - Disclosure of some of the information would infringe parliamentary privilege. [Partial s34]
- 12/04/07 - Confirm that a named councillor commented on a draft report; who was responsible for list of witnesses - Disclosure of the information would infringe parliamentary privilege. [Full s34]
- 01/05/07 - Communications from the Treasury C'tee and its secretariat regarding Ordinary and Income shareholders - Letters provided though name redacted [partial s40] and partial s34 to another.
- 18/06/07 - Information held by the Speaker's Office re: FOI (Amendment Bill) and release of staff names and salaries - Partial s40, s34, s36, s42. Some information disclosed.
- 16/05/07 - Wording of notification to Chair of Public Accounts C'tee and all supporting info passed to him - Information subject to parliamentary privilege as it relates to unpublished proceeding of a sele ct c'tee. [Full s34]
- 18/06/07 - Papers submitted by Durham County Council to Transport C'tee enquiry on the Transport Innovation Fund - Any documents held would be subject to parliamentary privilege. [Full s34]
- 13/06/07 - Information relating to Education Targeted Capital Funding and Building Schools for the Future programmes - Link to published documents provided. Enquiry information subject to parliamentary privilege. [Partial s34]
- 24/07/07 - Information relating to PAC decision not to hold enquiry into NAO report on Portsmouth University - Disclosure of the information would constitute a breach a parliamentary privilege. [Full s34]
- 22/11/07 - Information re: Comms Allowance; unedited minutes & related papers re: FOI held by or prepared for MEC - Provision would exceed appropriate limit. Names removed. Other information privileged. [Partial s40, s34]
- 16/11/07 - Cost of appeal against the ICO; papers relating to the decision behind withdrawal of appeal; disclosed info - Cost of appeal not held; information relating to decision subject to parliamentary privilege [Partial s34].
- 28/11/07 - Written communication between Public Accounts C'tee & NAO re. C'tee's findings on 2005 stroke report - Information subject to parliamentary privilege as it relates to unpublished proceeding of a sel ect c'tee. [Full s34]
- 19/12/07 - Closed archive file - correspondence relating to marriage of Prince of Wales 1981-84 & birth of Prince Harry - Not fully disclosed: closed items exempt due to parliamentary privilege [partial s34]
- 10/02/06 - Access to European Scrutiny Committee file on Social Exclusion. (HC/CL/EU/2/142/14395) - Several documents declassified from 'closed' to 'open', others subject to parliamentary privilege. [Partial s34]
- 18/01/06 - Details of meetings between Standards Commissioner & a named MP & copies of correspondence re: a complaint - Information held, but investigations are covered by parliamentary privilege. [Full s34]
- 19/01/06 - Details of current investigations by the Standards Commissioner into MPs and research assistants - Policy provided. Investigations covered by privilege. Other information either not held or published. [Partial s34, s21]
- 22/02/06 - Correspondence re: allegations or conflict of interest or breaches of the Code of Conduct by 3 named MPs - No ongoing investigations although investigations are covered by parliamentary privilege. [Partial s34]
- 13/03/06 - Access to archived files re: social exclusion. (HC/CL/EU/2/35/12985, HC/CL/EU/2/151/14930) - Several documents declassified from 'closed' to 'open', others subject to parliamentary privilege. [Partial s34]
- 13/03/06 - Access to European Legislation Committee files. (HC/CL/EU/2/103/12783, HC/CL/EU/10964, HC/CL/EU/1/10954) - Documents not subject to parliamentary privilege provided. [Partial s34]
- 27/04/06 - Access to a closed Clerk Assistant's file and a number of Home Affairs and Race Relations Committee files - Majority of files opened in full. A number closed under s34. 2 kept partially closed under s40 and s34.
- 19/06/06 - A copy of all material relating to the Treasury Committee's 5th report of 94-95 and 4th report of 95-96 - Some files open, others kept closed (partial s34 exemption). Personal information redacted under s40.
- 21/06/06 - Request for access to all documents relating to the applicants' complaint re: a named MP. Full s34 exemption.
- 27/07/06 - Request for unredacted evidence from Culture, Media & Sport Committee's 6th Report of 01/02 - Full s34 exemption.
- 25/07/06 - Request for access to closed Home Affairs Committee file. (HC/CP/7955) - Full s34 exemption.
- 28/07/06 - 3 questions relating to EIR 2004 and consideration by Joint Committee on Statutory Instruments - Partial s34 exemption. Advice given to the Committee not disclosable.
- 25/09/06 - Request for access to closed file European Scrutiny Committee file re: EU/Hong Kong. (HC/CL/EU/2/208/18072) - Partial s34 exemption.
- 04/12/06 - Minutes of a meeting between Defence Committee and commercial representatives of naval dockyards - Full s34 exemption.
- 04/12/06 - A copy of the report proposing an £80M+ underground visitor centre at Westminster - Full s34 exemption.
- 04/01/07 - Request for access to 5 European Scrutiny Committee files re: pollution - Partial s34 exemption.
- 12/01/07 - 4 questions re: subsidies to HoC catering outlets, access regulations to outlets, and sample menus for each - Partial s34. Some inaccurate information not provided, though applicant invited to discuss figures.
- 14/12/06 - Request for copy of paper comparing differences between evidence to Foreign Affairs C'tee & Hutton inquiry - Full s34 exemption.
- 14/12/06 - Subject access request for applicant's Standards Commissioner investigation file. Some info not personal data - Full s34 exemption. Personal data also refused under parliamentary privilege.
- 31/01/2005 - Correspondence or evidence provided by tobacco companies, Imperial Tobacco and Gallaher to the committee during the hearings on tobacco smuggling - Letter emailed, request for info in so far as it relates to Imperial Tobacco is refused as it's exempt under s34 (Parliamentary Privilege)
- 31/01/2005 - European Scrutiny File from 1981-1982. File relating to the European Act on Economic Integration - Emailed that the request is in part, refused because some of the information in the file relates to the proceedings of the Committee and so is exempt from disclosure under section 34 (parliamentary privilege) of the FOI Act. Some info in the file is in the form of Draft Reports which the Enquirer was told she can look at by contacting the Record Office.
- 09/02/2005 - Home Affairs Committee 4th report 1999-2000 - Letter stating the request for access to closed files HC/CP/16491/1 and HC/CP/16491/3 to 10 was with two exceptions, refused. The information is exempt under s34 (parliamentary privilege) of the FOI Act 2000. Furthermore, there is no duty to either confirm or deny whether the information requested is held by the HOC.
- 01/02/2005 - Interests declared by the Specialist Advisors appointed by the Health Committee for the current inquiry into the Pharmaceutical Industry - Letter of refusal sent - the info requested is exempt under s.34, parliamentary privilege, of the FOI Act 2000.
- 31/01/2005 - The advice from NAO to the Clerk of PAC, which formed the basis of a letter about War Disablement Pension Case - Request for the NAO’s advice to the Clerk of PAC refused, citing s.34; also the other information requested is not held by the Committee.
- 01/02/2005 - Unpublished correspondence / or memorandum from Imperial Tobacco; Gallaher or British American Tobacco in relation to the report on 'Tobacco Industry and the Health Risks of Smoking.' - Letter of refusal sent - the info requested is exempt under s.34, parliamentary privilege. Non-confidential memoranda for the inquiry can be examined in the House of Lords Record Office. Also, on the Centre for Tobacco Research Control website, http://www.tobaccopapers.com/.
- 24/02/2005 - Minutes of the private session held on 31 January 2005 between MPs on the Selec t Defence Committee and others regarding the building of two aircraft carriers - Request for this information is refused as it is exempt under s34 (Parliamentary privilege) of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
- 07/04/2005 - Recorded minutes in which St Bartholomews hospital is discussed (1969-1999) - Some information provided and some exempt in accordance with section 21 of the FOI (information accessible to applicant by other means) and exempt under section 34 of the FOIA (Parliamentary Privilege). * 07/04/2005 - To inspect a number of European Scrutiny Committee files - Although most of the material in the files can be made available to enquirer the request for the six files is, in part, refused. Info is exempt from disclosure under section 34 (parliamentary privilege) of FOIA.
- 13/06/2005 - Information on the EU SOFA of 2003 (OJ  C321/6) held by the European Scrutiny Committee and any other dept - Some information provided , some not held and some exempt from disclosure under section 34 (parliamentary privilege) of the Act.
- 25/05/2005 - File HC/CP/12930 (Closed HOC Public Accounts Committee file, session 1989-1990) - Request is exempt under s34 (Parliamentary privilege) of the FOIA.
- 06/06/2005 - Correspondence between IDC and WHO relating to mortality figures in Darfur - The info requested is exempt under Section 34, parliamentary privilege of the FOIA.
- 10/10/2005 - Request to see closed Clerk Assistant file HC/CL/CA/1/1/23 - Request refused (s34).
- 31/11/2005 - Questions relating to change on the term 'fine' to 'charge' on a Transport Committee press release - Some information provided, other information not held, partial s34 exemption.
- 01/12/2005 - Minutes of meetings of the ODPM Committee relating to issues raised by public for 15 March - Full s34 exemption.
- 15/12/2005 - Request for access to closed files relating to Financial Services Regulation at Lloyds - Full s34 exemption. [NB: This request was subject to an ICO Decision Notice - FS50116013]
House of Lords
- The House of Lords issues certificates immediately when they send their first Refusal Notice, so there is no chance of appeal.
- There are 4 examples of the certificates on WhatDoTheyKnow:
- Searches of offices of members; HoL ref FOI/REQ/296
- Plans for digitisation of recorded footage of Parliament; HoL ref 2008/69
- Correspondence with TfL on Cycle Hire Scheme docking stations; HoL ref 2010/573
- Correspondence relating to Baroness Uddin's repayment of expenses; HoL ref 2011/717
- Correspondence between the House of Lords and 10 Lords relating to expenses for the year 2008 onwards
- 2005 - 1 out of 75 (1%)
- 2006 - 2 out of 56 (4%)
- 2007 - 2 out of 49 (4%)
- 2008 - 5 out of 87 (6%)
- 2009 - 2 out of 150 (1%)
- 2010 - 3 out of 119 (3%) - data to September 2010
- 04/02/2010 - FOI/REQ/460 Lincoln City Council Act 1985. Request to view private bill file. Partial release; some information exempt under s.34 (Parliamentary Privilege)
- 11/03/2010 - FOI/REQ/465 - “the minutes of the House Committee meeting on January 26th 2010...and any correspondence (email, letter or memorandum) between the Clerk of the Parliaments and the house committee (including its individual members) relating to guidance on the [truncated]" - Partial release. The minutes are published on the Parliamentary website. Other information exempt under s.34 (Parliamentary privilege).
- 31/03/2010 - FOI/REQ/493 - Correspondence the House Committee received from the Clerk of the Parliaments relating to the declaration of principal residence by members of the House of Lords - Information exempt under Parliamentary Privilege (S.34). The minute of the relevant discussion at the Committee published online.
- List based on requests up to September 2010
- 05/02/2009 - FOI/REQ/296 - Information relating to discussions and protocol regarding searches of Members' offices - Partial release information exempt under s.34 (Parliamentary privilege) & s.36 (prejudice the conduct of public affairs).
- 24/02/2009 - FOI/REQ/302 - List of Members who have asked questions, tabled amendments or made interventions that are 'perceived to be of benefit to an outside client', including the dates and topics - Partial release - some information exempted under s34 (Parliamentary Privilege)
- 14/05/2008 - Request for files HC/CL/EU/2/78/13607, HC/CL/EU/2/280/11 and HC/CL/EU/2/282/3 (Working time regulations) - Partial release - S.34. Available in the Parliamentary Archives.
- 24/06/2008 - Request for files HL/PO/PB/8/370, HL/PO/PB/8/371, HL/PO/PB/8/372, HL/PO/PB/8/373, HL/PO/PB/8/374 (British Waterways Bill) - Partial release - part of HL/PO/PB/8/370 exempt under S.34. Remainder of information released. Available at the Parliamentary Archives.
- 01/08/2008 - Request for a copy of the Administration and Works Committee memorandum A&W/07-08/23 - Partial release - exemption s.34.
- 07/11/2008 - Information relating to the trialling of online archive of footage of Parliament - No information released - exempted under s.34, but applicant referred to information on JISC website.
- 01/12/2008 - Request for a copy of file ref. DR/165 relating to the National Union of Mineworkers - No information released - exempted under s34 (for the purpose of avoiding an infringement of the privilege of the House of Commons).
- 28/02/2007 - Smoking ban - revised request. All documents, internal memoranda and any other correspondence from members and staff of the House of Lords between 13/02/06 and 01/02/07 relating to the smoking ban affecting all Lords areas of the Parliamentary Estate - Partial release. S.34, S.36
- 27/06/2007 - FoI policy and administration since January 2005, including discussions with the Information Commissioner or his office written by or involving Peers, Parliamentary staff, Lord Speaker, any statutory bodies within Parliament or Committees - Partial release. S.34, S.36
- 03/03/2006 - Register of Interests. Communications regarding Register of interests with a list of Members - No information released. S.34
- 26/10/2006 - Public Bill File - Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development, 1993 - No information released. Applicant already seen published material. S.34
- 18/10/2005 - Request for files on Lloyds Bill HL. Information relating to immunities and byelaws - Partial release. S.34
ICO Lines To Take
|Relevant Lines to Take|
|Complaints upheld / partly upheld (P)||Complaints not upheld|
Includes DNs up to: 26 April 2010
|12 21 22 22A 23 24 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44|