Tags are used by WhatDoTheyKnow to place public authorities in groups so that lists can be generated. Many of the tags represent types of public authorities on the side menu .
Country tags indicate both where a body covers and what FOI regime it is subject to.
- scotland: A Scottish public authority, as defined in any of FOIA, FOISA, EIR, or EISR.
- wales: A Welsh public authority, as defined by section 83 of FOIA, the National Assembly for Wales, or the Welsh Assembly Government.
- ni: A Northern Ireland public authority, as defined by section 84 of FOIA, a Northern Ireland department, or the Northern Ireland assembly.
- england: A public authority whose functions are exercisable only or mainly in or as regards England.
Regions in England
Only use where the public authority covers the whole region e.g. North West Regional Development Agency.
- East Midlands
- North East
- North West
- South East
- South West
- West Midlands
- Yorkshire and Humber
|† not a London borough|
* Royal Borough
- commissioning_consortium for Clinical commissioning groups (I (Richard) think the word "Group" is now being used in preference to "consortium" and groups and consortia are one and the same? Groups are certainly describing themselves as consortia  )
- nhstrust for National Health Service trusts (maybe also in Wales) and NHS foundation trusts
- nhswales for all Welsh bodies, including...
- local_health_board for Local Health Boards
All advisory NDPBs should be tagged advisory_committee even if they have not got "Advisory Committee" in their name because they are called "Advisory Council" or "Advisory Panel" or something else.
for public authorities that are companies, this can be useful to know as companies are legally required to create and keep board minutes and minutes of general meetings.
The Companies Act 2006 defines various terms relating to companies. We represent them as:
- company for "companies" as defined by the Act
- plc for public companies
- limited for private limited companies
Non-departmental public bodies (NDPB)
When it comes to Central Government there are the ministerial departments and the non-ministerial departments and then there are the others.
- endpb executive NDPB
- andpb advisory NDPB
- otherndpb other NDPB
- academies Academy schools (typically we will list the schools rather than the trust to help our users)
- academy_trust Academy Trusts - Intended to be added on request or for major multi-academy trusts.
Urban development and regeneration
- udc urban development corporation
- urc urban regeneration company
Scottish Private Prison Contractors
scottish_prison_contractor Contractors who run privately-managed prisons in Scotland. See: http://www.gov.scot/About/Information/FOI/Coverage
Not subject to FOI
- foi_no not subject (may or may not comply voluntarily)
- not_apply FOI doesn't apply to this body) Used for example on bodies which used to be subject to FOI. Prevents requests being made to the body. Prompts note: "Freedom of Information law does not apply to this authority, so you cannot make a request to it. "
- foi_voluntary will comply voluntarily
- foi_refuse will not comply voluntarily
reason(s) for including body:
- eir_only likely to be subject to the Environmental Information Regulations but unlikely to comply voluntarily with FOI
- public_appointments - makes public appointments
- public_funded - receives substantial public funding
- public_assets - controls public assets
- public_regulatory - has a regulatory function
- public_infrastructure - controls significant national infrastructure
- public_money_distribution - distributes public funds
- nhs_care_provider - provides NHS care (Primary care providers are covered by FOI, this tag will be used for other providers)
- assessor - Assessor (Scotland)
- corporation_sole - Corporations Sole
- licensing_board - Licensing Board (Scotland)
- lscb - Local Safeguarding Children Board
- lgps - Local Government Pension Scheme
- transport_partnership - Transport Partnership (Scotland)
- vjb - Valuation Joint Board (Scotland)
- duplicate - Duplicate authorities. Where an authority has more than one entry, all but one should have this tag.
- probation_trust - probation trusts
- trading_fund - trading funds
- department_ni - Northern Ireland departments
- To help with debugging - here's the full list of tags on WhatDoTheyKnow:
Some tags are used to hold keys from other databases to make cross-referencing easier.
- ch:* - Bodies that appear on the Register of Companies. '*' is replaced by the company number, which is eight characters long and consists of optional upper-case letters followed by digits.
- coins:* Bodies appearing in COINS database followed by reference code e.g. coins:BRL048 (British Library)
- dpr:* - Bodies that appear on the Register of Data Controllers. '*' is replaced by the registration number.
- urn:* - Bodies that appear on EduBase. '*' is replaced by the institution's Unique Reference Number.
- VAT:* - Bodies with a VAT (UK Value Added Tax) registration number. '*' is replaced by the VAT registration number (no spaces) e.g. VAT:895108987
- charity:* - Bodies that are registered charities in England/Wales or Scotland. '*' is replaced by the charity number, which will begin SC in Scotland.