FOIA Section 29 Exemption
Section 29: The Economy Exemption
Section 29 applies to information whose disclosure would be likely to prejudice the economic or financial interests of the United Kingdom or of any administration in the United Kingdom.
- Departments should be alive to the need to consult with HM Treasury when considering this exemption
- Section 29 is subject to a public interest balance;
Official DCA guidance: http://www.dca.gov.uk/foi/guidance/exguide/sec29/index.htm
What the law says
29 The economy
- (1) Information is exempt information if its disclosure under this Act would, or would be likely to, prejudice—
- (a) the economic interests of the United Kingdom or of any part of the United Kingdom, or
- (b) the financial interests of any administration in the United Kingdom, as defined by section 28(2).
- (2) The duty to confirm or deny does not arise if, or to the extent that, compliance with section 1(1)(a) would, or would be likely to, prejudice any of the matters mentioned in subsection (1).