From FOIwikiJump to navigationJump to search
- Case Ref: FS50202127
- Date: 30 June 2009
- Public Authority: Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Summary: The complainant made a freedom of information request to the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (“the public authority”) for a copy of the 2007 US/UK Military Talks regarding the British Indian Ocean Territory. In response the public authority confirmed it held the requested information but refused to disclose the information under section 26(1)(a) and (b) (Defence) and section 27(1)(a) (International relations). The public authority also cited section 42(1) (Legal professional privilege) but only after the Commissioner had commenced his investigation. Having carefully considered the complaint the Commissioner has decided that the information is exempt under section 27(1)(a) and the public interest favours maintaining the exemption. The Commissioner has not considered the application of the other exemptions but has found that in its handling of the request the public authority breached section 17(1) and 17(3)(b) (Refusal of a request). The Commissioner requires no steps to be taken.
- View PDF of Decision Notice: 
- Section of Act / Finding: FOI 17 - Complaint Upheld - Find other matching decisions
- Section of Act / Finding: FOI 27 - Complaint Not upheld - Find other matching decisions