From FOIwikiJump to navigationJump to search
- Case Ref: FS50190528
- Date: 30 November 2009
- Public Authority: St. Helens Council
- Summary: The complainant requested all material held by St Helens Council (the ‘Council’) relating to protected pay for Council employees. The Council provided a series of information to the complainant but withheld some information because it was protected by legal professional privilege. During the course of the Commissioner’s investigation the Council voluntarily disclosed further information to the complainant, but maintained that legal advice it had obtained was exempt from disclosure. The Commissioner’s decision is that Council was entitled to withhold the legal advice under section 42(1) and that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information. The Commissioner also finds that the Council breached section 17(1) (b) of the Act by failing to specify the exemption in its response to the request.
- View PDF of Decision Notice: 
- Section of Act / Finding: FOI 17 - Complaint Upheld - Find other matching decisions
- Section of Act / Finding: FOI 42 - Complaint Not upheld - Find other matching decisions