From FOIwikiJump to navigationJump to search
- Case Ref: FS50070854
- Date: 23 October 2006
- Public Authority: Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Summary: On 12 January 2005 the complainant sought disclosure from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office of information relating to; the UK – US Energy dialogue; the Cheney Task Force; forecasts about peak oil production, and US attempts to seek exclusive oil agreements. Subsequently, on 18 February 2005, he also asked for a list of documents falling within the scope of the request. In relation to the initial request the FCO provided the information relating to forecasts but withheld the remainder, citing sections 27 and (subsequently) 35 (1) (a). The FCO declined to provide a schedule of documents on the grounds that the Act did not require it to create new information. Following confirmation of this decision on review, the complainant appealed to the Commissioner. Having viewed the information, the Commissioner accepted that most of the information had been correctly withheld under the exemptions cited but considered that some information could be released. The Commissioner did not accept the FCO argument that the production of a list of relevant documents constituted the creation of new information but nevertheless thought that the exemptions in respect of the substantive information applied here also.
- View PDF of Decision Notice: 
- Section of Act / Finding: FOI 27 - Complaint Not upheld - Find other matching decisions
- Section of Act / Finding: FOI 35 - Complaint Not upheld - Find other matching decisions